Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tattoo Me Pink

Behold my love child with Shakespeare
Hey people, have you heard the news? ROMEO & JULIET & VAMPIRES is out in stores TODAY!!! I'm so excited I can barely even breathe. There are a bunch of other great teen novels that share my release date, including Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (also from HarperTeen), so you should get to an online or brick-and-mortar bookstore as soon as you possibly can.

But after you buy a copy of R&J&V, I want you to ponder something for me: what should my commemorative tattoo be? Okay, I can see you're a little confused: a commemorative TATTOO? As in permanent ink on a part of the body? Is this lady serious?

Pisceans rule!
Oh yes, I most certainly am. Back in May 2000, I started this little ritual of getting a tattoo to celebrate big milestones in my life. I got the first one when I graduated from Hofstra University's Master of Arts program with an American and English Literature degree. The tattoo is the medieval sign for Pisces (my astrological sign) and it's located on my lower back, on the right side.

The tattoo that never quits
Then in March 2007, I got the number 607 tattooed on the inside of my left ankle. 607 is my hometown area code (Binghamton in the house!!!) and the month/year that my first book, IN OR OUT, was being published. I never expected it to get the response it has--I'm always stopped in the elevator or on the subway and asked what the number means. It's kind of the perfect promotional tool--I have it on me all the time! Also, I think I should mention that once a construction worker used it to cat-call me. "607? Hey baby, that your address?!" Sadly, I was too flustered to think of a comeback, so I just ignored him.

Anyway, so what's next?! I've been trying to come up with cool ideas for designs and placement, but I'm really stumped. Which is why I am begging for help via cyberspace! Please post your thoughts in the comments section, and let's keep it PG, folks. I do not want to be walking around town with a naked woman on my bicep (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Before I peace out, I just want to thank everyone at HarperTeen for doing such a great job with ROMEO & JULIET & VAMPIRES. I'm so proud of the book and how the packaging turned out. I hope it finds a lot of readers, and that people enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it!!!

TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment