Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Best. Email. EVER!

For the past week or so, I've been sifting through the mammoth pile in my email inbox, which accumulated while I was on vacation in Michigan and at the SCBWI-LA writer's conference. Well, I'm almost fully caught up--thank God!--and the task was pretty energy-depleting. That is, until I opened the Best. Email. EVER!

Now, after I attend a conferences, I usually come home to a nice note or two from writers who I've met there. But I've never received one that made me smile as much as this particular gem did, in part because the subject line was, "You are awesome."

Um....duh!  ;-)

Anyway, here's the email in full:

Hi Claudia:

Okay, not including the keynoters, you were my favorite presenter at the SCBWI conference last weekend. Why? Because you're such a rock star. Here's what you have and I hope you never forget it: likability beyond all measure. When you stand in front of that podium and do your thing, it's so easy to like you. Some people have it, and some people don't. Then there are those who got it big time. That's you. Your style? Love it. Your humor? Dig it. Your non-use of fancy PowerPoint Presentations? Simply not needed when you're doing the talking.

I haven't read your books yet, but I plan to. I hope down the road we one day get to work with each other. In the meantime, keep brainstorming the next big thing. My money's on you that you'll find it.

All the best,
The Writer

There are no words to describe how thrilled I am to have made such a great impression on this person. Actually, after reading this email, I kind of felt like Corey and D.C. in Say Anything, when they are in awe of Lloyd Dobbler's letter to Diane. Here, I'll break the scene down for you (since I can't find it on YouTube).















COREY: "Dear Diane, I'll always be there for you, all the love in my heart, Lloyd." I've never gotten a letter like this, have you?

D.C.: I dream about it.

Only I no longer have to dream!!!
 
Seriously, though, this email totally validated the most important reason for editors, agents, and published authors to attend conferences in the first place--to make connections with creative souls and inspire them! Which is why I'll be at the SCBWI-AZ conference in Scottsdale on September 25th. I couldn't be more excited! :)

Well, I must get back to the rest of those pesky emails. I'm planning to post about my wonderful experience in LA on Friday, so until then, don't process anything bought, sold, or processed. (A little Say Anything joke there.)

No comments:

Post a Comment